Believe it or not, moving house doesn’t have to be a hectic stressful time of your life. With the right preparation and organisation, your furniture removal can be a positive experience with all the heavy lifting left to the removalists. Too often, people leave their packing until the last minute, which only creates stress. Often once you start to pack, it quickly becomes evident that you have a lot of stuff! It is amazing how much we accumulate these days, and yet we never seem to think we have much due to our fantastic ability to hide things in storage!
So, once you begin to pack, and delve into those storage areas suddenly the job of packing can become overwhelming. So, the easier answer is to begin your packing process as soon as you know your are moving. Normally people know weeks if not months ahead of time that they will be moving house. Use this lead time to your advantage.
One suggestion is to organize your ‘Packing Equipment’ as early as you can. You’ll be needing boxes, tape, newspaper and a bubble wrap. Your local furniture removalist should be able to supply this for you. Once this is in your house, you can start packing at your own pace!
Early Packing Tips:
- Start packing the items in the house that you know you will not use from now until the move. These could be the “extra” items in your house. Such as, the extra cutlery that you never use, the pots and pans that never get used, the extra linen, the kids toys that are stuffed away in the cupboard. Box all these items up, label them clearly and store them somewhere out of your way. DONE!
- Wrap your extra crockery up in bubble wrap or newspaper, leaving everything you will still use between now and the move. Carefully wrapping the crockery and other breakables takes time, so this is something that you can do weeks in advance with no time restraints.
- Use clear labelling on all of your items, especially if you start packing early. The last thing you want is to forget what is in all your boxes and have to guess or open them before knowing where to put them in the new house.
Don’t Empty Everything!!
Often people empty out all of their belongings from chest of drawers, buffets and desks etc. This is a great idea if you have decided NOT to hire furniture removalist and do it yourself, as it makes the actual furniture much lighter. However, professional removalists have the necessary skills and equipment to lift heavy furniture. As long as the items inside are not breakable there is no need to remove the items. Simply, tape up the drawers so they don’t fly open when being moved and leave the rest to the removalist. The best part is you don’t need to unpack when you get to your new house.
- Schedule your cleaner.
- Redirect your mail to your new address.
- Organise helpers on moving day for child minding.
- Stay organised and let the professionals do all the heavy lifting!